Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Udon noodles with sweetheart cabbage, mushrooms and sriracha sauce


Two noodle recipes in a row, I know. It's a total coincidence, though. We do eat other things than noodles.


Part of the charm of the subscription to a vegetable delivery is that you get vegetables you wouldn't normally buy or that may not even be on sale at the greegrocer's or supermarket. Like the sweetheart cabbage (gotta love it, if only for the name!) I found in this week's bag. I can't remember having eaten it ever and I have most certainly never cooked it so far. I fancied noodles so without doing any research on the stranger in my vegetable drawer, I decided to stir fry it with some onions, button mushrooms and bacon. Why bacon? Cabbage loves a little pork, I reckoned and really - you can't go wrong with bacon, can you? A spritz of soy sauce and a liberal dousing with sriracha sauce (be a liberal as you dare) finished the dish off. I ate it by myself in the balmy evening air in the "company" only of the neighbours, also out on their balconies or rooftop terraces.

Udon noodles with sweetheart cabbage, mushrooms and sriracha sauce
(serves 1 or 2 , depending on greed)
  • 80g udon noodles
  • 0.5 tablespoons rapseed oil
  • 0.5 onion, in strips
  • 1 tablespoon bacon in small dice
  • 1 sweetheart cabbage 1, finely sliced, tough parts removed
  • 8 button mushrooms, quartered
  • soy sauce
  • sriracha sauce
Cook the udon noodles until soft, drain and refresh quickly under the cold tap. Set aside. Heat the oil in a wok or large nonstick frying pan. Fry the onion and bacon for about 2-3 minutes, then add the cabbage and mushrooms and stir fry over a high heat until the cabbage is done. Sesason to taste with soy sauce and sriracha sauce. Add the noodles and toss for a minute until everything is evenly mixed and the noodles are heated through. Serve immediately with more sriracha sauce for those who like it hot.

No comments: